Treat irritated gums head-on. Talk to our New York dentist.
Help, my gums hurt!
Are your teeth and gums bleeding? Do your gums feel swollen and irritated? Don’t shrug off these symptoms or think it’s normal. While bleeding gums can be the one-time result of brushing or flossing too vigorously, frequent issues with bleeding can be signs of a bigger systemic and local issue with your overall health.
What causes bleeding gums?
Why are your teeth bleeding? It could be one reason or a combination of factors at play. The most common causes of bleeding gums are:
- Using a toothbrush that’s too hard (always choose a soft-bristle brush!)
- Brushing or flossing too hard
- Taking certain medications (aspirin, blood thinners)
- Certain medical conditions
- Dentures that don’t fit correctly
- Gingivitis — inadequate hygiene habits will result in plaque build-up and gum inflammation the first stage of gum disease
- Periodontitis (gum disease)
How to stop bleeding gums at home
Persistently bleeding gums are a sign of something bigger going on with your dental health and should always be treated by a professional.
Try out these home remedies to stop the bleeding until you can get in to see your dentist:
- Hold a small ice pack or an ice cube against your gums to soothe them
- Try a warm salt water rinse — use ½ teaspoon of salt in 8 oz of warm water
- Hold some clean, damp gauze against the affected area until the blood has stopped flowing or a wet tea bag containing tannins
Tips for preventing bleeding gums…
Brush your teeth twice a day for 2 minutes
Floss once a day or use a water flosser
Replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months
Eat a healthy diet full of fresh fruits and veggies
See your dentist twice a year for routine preventative care
We’re here to help
At New York General Dentistry, we offer treatments to stop bleeding gums in Midtown Manhattan.
Dr. Chern will conduct a comprehensive periodontal evaluation to help you understand your periodontal health. We’ll prescribe a dental care regimen and treatment plan to get your gums healthy again and rule out any systemic problems that may be contributing to the bleeding.
“I have been Dr. Chern’s patient for several years now and I have no intention of ever finding another dentist. When you find an amazing dentist, you stick with them. She’s honest, professional, and knows what she’s doing. Her staff is just as amazing.”– David K.
Our New York City Office
Sundays – Available by request for special cases and dental emergencies
“One of the most wonderful dentists I have ever been to. Inna is kind, compassionate, and truly cares about her patients. I was always afraid of dentists until I met Inna. Highly recommend her for any dentistry needs – and if you would like your dentist to be your new best friend!”– Abhi G.