“My Teeth Are Crooked and Misaligned…Is Invisalign Right For Me?”
Part of having a beautiful smile is being proud to show it off to the world. Teeth themselves can be cleaned and brightened, but if they’re crooked or misaligned, you might feel self-conscious of your smile. Moreover, misaligned and crooked teeth can lead to issues with biting, chewing, and jaw pain as well as difficulty fully cleaning hard to reach areas, leading to tooth decay and periodontal disease.
These aligners are unnoticeable, easy to use and maintain, and are ideal for people who lead busy lifestyles or want to avoid traditional metal braces. Dr. Inna Chern offers Invisalign treatments at our Manhattan practice to help straighten teeth using clear aligner technology that is painless and faster than conventional braces.
Benefits of Invisalign
Decreases the risk of tooth decay and gum disease
Although traditional braces are effective at realigning the teeth, their structure means that it’s easy for food and bacteria to get trapped in the teeth and cause decay over time. They are famously hard to clean, but since Invisalign is fully removable this allows you to brush and floss normally. Over time, the ease of hygiene prevents cavities from forming and allows for excellent periodontal management, unlike traditional braces.
Reduce TMJ pain and chronic headaches
Invisalign can help with TMJ disorder symptoms such as pain and discomfort, as well as protect teeth from the harmful effects of bruxism (or teeth grinding). It can effectively realign the upper and lower jaws in order to establish a better harmony and function thus alleviating TMJ and TMJ related headaches and migraines.
Help increase oral volume for sleep apnea related issues
Sleep apnea happens when your airway is obstructed during sleep resulting in difficulty breathing and the need to wake up often throughout the night to get air. Often there are alignment issues of the teeth that can be diagnostic for this issue. Narrow arches, deep bites, and “high” vaulted palates are key indicators of a potential problem. Invisalign can be used to widen arches, correct deep bites and widen palates thus improving the oral volume and improving hypoxia or apnea symptoms.
“I have been Dr. Chern’s patient for several years now and I have no intention of ever finding another dentist. When you find an amazing dentist, you stick with them. She’s honest, professional, and knows what she’s doing. Her staff is just as amazing.”– David K.
The Invisalign Treatment Process and What to Expect
Your First Appointment (30-60 minutes)
- We’ll discuss your treatment expectations and take photographs of your face and smile.
- Dr. Chern will go over your dental health history and examine your teeth to make sure they are healthy and cavity-free for treatment. Necessary x-rays will be taken to check that bone levels are healthy for tooth movement. If there are any concerns, these will be addressed first.
- We’ll take impressions and scans to send to the lab for your custom, 3D rendering (ClinCheck) of your Smile Design.
Your Second Appointment (30 minutes)
- We’ll review your ClinCheck, a custom software rendering of your teeth.
- Once you’ve approved your treatment plan, your trays will be ordered and you’ll be scheduled for your next appointment.
Your Third Appointment (30-45 minutes)
- You’ll be fitted with your first aligner and the necessary attachments will be bonded into place.
- You’ll be given several additional trays that should be changed every 7-10 days.
- Our team will go over your maintenance and care, as well as what to expect.
Your Follow-up Appointments (15-30 minutes)
Each aligner should be worn for 7-10 days for a total of 20-22 hours. After you are done with an aligner, you’ll move on to the next in the series. You should check in with our Manhattan office occasionally so we can make sure your treatment is moving along as it should. You should also come and pick up the subsequent aligners until you are done with treatment. Most patients achieve their results within 6-12 months, although this can be different for each patient. We’ll make sure you understand the best way to maintain your new smile for the long term.
Correct Your Smile & Protect Your Health
Did You Know: The benefits of clear braces aren’t just cosmetic! Closing small gaps and giving more space to crowded teeth also helps…
- Decrease your risk of tooth decay and gum disease
- Make brushing and flossing easier and more effective
- Reduce TMJ pain and chronic headaches
- Protect the longevity of your teeth and gums
Caring For Your Invisalign Aligners
Taking good care of your aligners means they will work effectively and transform your smile over time. Follow these care steps to make sure you achieve the straight and beautiful smile you’re hoping for:
- Wear your aligners for 20-22 hours throughout the day, except to eat
- Clean your aligners daily to prevent bacteria buildup
- Eat a healthy diet (cut back on sweets and soft drinks)
- See your dentist regularly
- Brush your teeth twice daily for 2 minutes with a soft or electric toothbrush
- Floss every day or use a water flosser (Waterpik)
What Makes Our Office the Right Fit for Your Dental Needs?
You’ll work with Dr. Chern to create the right treatment plan for you using advanced software to visualize your custom Invisalign smile transformation.
Straightening your smile doesn’t have to be scary or uncomfortable. We’ll be checking in on your Invisalign process along the way. We’re always here to answer questions.
Having a straight smile improves more than just your confidence. Our invisible braces treatments are focused on getting you results — whether it takes you 6 months or 12.
Meet With Dr. Chern &
Her Manhattan Team
Invisalign is one of the best options on the market for achieving a clear, radiant smile without the hassle or discomfort of traditional braces. To get started and discuss your options, we invite you to contact our Midtown East office by calling or filling out our online form.
“One of the most wonderful dentists I have ever been to. Inna is kind, compassionate, and truly cares about her patients. I was always afraid of dentists until I met Inna. Highly recommend her for any dentistry needs – and if you would like your dentist to be your new best friend!”– Abhi G.