“My Tooth Is Broken and I Don’t Like How It Looks… Is A Crown Right For Me?”
What Are Porcelain Crowns and How Can They Improve My Smile?
Teeth can sometimes become damaged due to fractures and extensive decay. Unfortunately, these issues are a natural part of the aging process of teeth– but, there are some comprehensive ways to protect and restore your teeth with the help of your dentist. In Manhattan, Dr. Chern offers comprehensive restoration methods to help damaged teeth and keep your smile healthy for the long term.
When a tooth is suffering from extensive decay or fractures, a dental crown is the best option for protecting and restoring your health and your smile. A dental crown is a fixed prosthetic device that is cemented to the entirety of the tooth and sits along the base of the gumline. Dental crowns are sculpted to blend in perfectly with the neighboring teeth by closely replicating the look and feel of tooth enamel. At our Manhattan practice, we provide custom-made crowns to patients looking for the best restorative options to support and improve function and aesthetics. Your dental crown will look (and feel) like your tooth– and the best part is that you won’t even know it’s there!
There are a few different materials available for crowns, but porcelain is one of the most popular options for its natural look that most closely resembles real teeth. Other options can include metal, gold, or porcelain-covered metal, all of which offer different benefits like durability and biocompatibility. One type may be better than the other simply based on the tooth’s location (front vs. back) and periodontal condition so Dr. Chern will discuss your best options.
Benefits of Porcelain Crowns
Restore and Protect Teeth
Crowns can be used to entirely cover (cap) a damaged tooth. This can be a good option in cases of tooth fracture or a tooth that is weakened from extensive decay. In this case, crowns can both protect the teeth from further damage or decay as well as restore the appearance of your smile.
Achieve Cosmetic Goals
Along with repairing and strengthening the tooth, crowns can also be used to improve the aesthetic appearance of teeth. If a tooth is badly shaped or discolored, then a crown can help restore the tooth to a more natural and uniform appearance. With the help of a skilled dentist, your crown will likely be undetectable when you smile.
Support Other Dental Work
Crowns can be used to supplement other dental techniques and devices like bridges or implants and may even be the first step in your treatment plan that includes other restorative options. Additionally, they can be used to help cover large fillings or root canals to both protect the underlying teeth and preserve their appearance.
“I have been Dr. Chern’s patient for several years now and I have no intention of ever finding another dentist. When you find an amazing dentist, you stick with them. She’s honest, professional, and knows what she’s doing. Her staff is just as amazing.”– David K.
The Crown Treatment Process and What to Expect
Your First Appointment (60 minutes)
- Once a dental crown is recommended, your teeth will be examined by Dr. Chern, and x-rays will be taken. The x-rays can help us check the roots of the tooth and the surrounding bone.
- If the tooth can be restored by a dental crown, then placement will begin.
- Dr. Chern will discuss different options for materials (ceramic vs noble metal). We’ll also take photographs and make a preliminary model for your temporary crown by taking an impression or scan of the tooth.
- Dr. Chern will gently reduce your tooth’s natural size to fit the crown properly. This step includes a local anesthetic so that you’re relaxed and comfortable.
- The impression or scan is sent to a lab for custom fabrication of your dental crown. Dr. Chern will create a temporary one and place it on the tooth while the permanent crown is being made.
Your Second Appointment (30-45 minutes)
- Approximately 1-2 weeks later, we will have you come in for your try-on of the crown.
- Your temporary one will be removed, and the crown will be placed and checked for form, fit, and function.
- An x-ray to confirm the fit will be taken and the crown will be prepared for final cementation. The crown will be placed with durable cement and final care instructions will be given to you. Once complete, you can return home.
Your Follow-Up Appointment (15 minutes)
We’ll schedule a 1-2 week follow-up appointment and evaluate the look and feel of your new dental restoration. If you have any concerns with your new crown, Dr. Chern can assess how things are going and recommend your best course of action.
Caring For Your Crown
Taking good care of your teeth will guarantee they stay healthy and functional for a lifetime. Additionally, taking care of your crown will help you get the most out of your investment. Follow these steps to take care of your crown for the long term:
- Eat a healthy diet (cut back on sweets and soft drinks)
- See your dentist regularly (every 4-6 months) for a hygiene appointment
- Brush your teeth twice daily for 2 minutes with a soft or electric toothbrush
- Floss every day or use a water flosser (Waterpik)
What Makes Our Office the Right Fit for Your Dental Needs?
Dr. Chern will evaluate your damaged tooth, working carefully with our team to ensure your crown is customized to your needs.
When you visit our Midtown East office for a crown, we’ll help you feel calm and relaxed while we provide the exceptional care you need. Your comfort is our top priority.
Using the most advanced techniques and equipment, we’ll ensure your crown is a success. Our attention to detail is unparalleled!
Meet With Dr. Chern &
Her Manhattan Team
Dental crowns can be an extremely effective way to restore your teeth and ensure they’re protected for years to come. To learn more about dental crowns and your treatment options, contact our office for an appointment by calling or filling out our online form. Dr. Inna Chern and our team will work with you to find the best treatment for you and restore the function and beauty of your smile.
Our New York City Office
Sundays – Available by request for special cases and dental emergencies
“One of the most wonderful dentists I have ever been to. Inna is kind, compassionate, and truly cares about her patients. I was always afraid of dentists until I met Inna. Highly recommend her for any dentistry needs – and if you would like your dentist to be your new best friend!”– Abhi G.