Almost daily, I am asked about teeth bleaching and the potential damage to enamel which is a myth that continues to haunt our profession. I bleach my teeth professionally and would never recommend a product that I never tried on my own teeth. Over using a bleaching product past its recommended dosage, like medication, can be harmful. I recommend asking your dentist for the wide array of products and what he/she prefers and uses themselves.
Professional bleaching is any bleaching product sold at a dental professionals’ office under the supervision of a dentist or dental hygienist. It is usually a stronger formulation of the over the counter staples such as Crest white Strips.
Currently, our office offers Opalescence take home kits which are a milder way to try bleaching. They are worn for 30-45 minutes and thrown out after use. Usage varies from 4-10 days depending on the results you are aiming to achieve.
The next level of bleaching is to have trays made custom for your mouth. The trays hold bleach and for those sensitive patients, can also hold fluoride gel. These trays are worn an hour a day for 7-10 days.
The final level of bleaching is In-Office procedures which consist of a patient having bleaching done while in the dental chair. Bleach is applied and a light catalizes the process (ZOOM). Newer systems are light free and are a personal favorite of mine (BOOST). The procedures and chairside time vary from 15-45 minutes.
With all these options, its a guarantee that you can find a SAFE product that will brighten your pearly whites by New Year!!!
Since 2003, Dr. Chern has been delivering friendly, comprehensive, and high-tech dental care to her patients. She received her dental degree from Stony Brook University of Dentistry and completed a general practice residency at Long Island College Hospital. From preventive dental exams to cosmetic and implant dentistry, Dr. Chern is dedicated to helping patients achieve systemic health and brighter smiles.